Wednesday 30 October 2013

Counting the Words - Again

On the subject of counting words, the last one was about the words I edited in a limited time.  Which got to thinking about the amount I can write in a limited time.  There is a reason for this, the fast approaching NaNoWriMo.
National Novel Writing Month.  Only heard about it last year, and it was half way through November when I did.  Thought it was a great idea and decided I’d do it this year.
I want to do it.
I plan to do it.
I can do it.
Right!
Right?
Write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days?  Well I know I have written 10,000 in two days, and to write the 50,000 words of NaNoWriMo means doing an average of 1,600 a day.  So it should be a synch, right?
Wrong.
Like most writers I haven’t given up the day job, so that’s 45 hours a week I can’t write.  Actually, we have a major deadline in work for December 2nd so it might well end up being more than fifty hours a week to ensure that everything gets done to deadline.  To be fair the 45 hours does include travel time.  Then there’s the fact that I’ve got two editing jobs booked on for November, so that could be anything from 80 hours to 200, depending on how bad/good the writers are, and since they are both new clients, I have no idea.  I also have a Scriptslam to attend in support of a friend, two writers group meetings, an engagement party to go to and a weekend away as a birthday treat (mine)/university visit (planning way ahead daughter)/ Christmas shopping (everyone else) trip.  Added to all that, I’ve promised myself I’ll update my Facebook page weekly and write a monthly blog.
Can I do it?
I’m more realistic than Bob the Builder, so I’m not going to say the obvious.
Am I going to try to do it?
Yes!




Anyone else remembering Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back?

No comments:

Post a Comment